Calvary Church of the Nazarene Huntsville, Alabama
Home Page | About Us | News and Events | Pastors Page | Our Links | Schedule | Contact us
Statement of Core Beliefs
The Apostles= Creed
[This is the oldest creed (AI believe@) of the Christian Church. It was not composed by the Apostles, but was believed by the church leaders in about 335f A.D. to reflect the rule of faith composed by the Apostles, i.e., a summary of the apostles= teaching.]
1. I believe in God Almighty
2. And in Christ Jesus, his only son, our Lord
3. Who was born of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary
4. Who was crucified under Pontius Pilate and was buried
5. And the third day rose from the dead
6. Who ascended into heaven
7. And sitteth on the right hand of the Father
8. Whence he cometh to judge the living and the dead
9. And in the Holy Ghost
10. The holy church
11. The remission of sins
12. The resurrection of the flesh
13. The life everlasting
A revision of the creed took place sometime before 543 A.D.:
(1) I believe in God the Father almighty
(2) I also believe in Jesus Christ his only son, our Lord,
(3) conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary,
(4) suffered under Pontius Pilate, crucified, dead and buried; he descended into hell,
(5) rose again the third day,
(6) ascended into heaven,
(7) sat down at the right hand of the Father,
(8) thence he is to come to judge the living and the dead.
(9) I believe in the Holy Ghost,
(10) the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of the saints,
(11) the remission of sins,
(12) the resurrection of the flesh and life eternal.
Dr. Morris Murray, Jr.
Content copyright July 2010 jmhall. All rights reserved.