Calvary Church of the Nazarene Huntsville, Alabama
Home Page | About Us | News and Events | Pastors Page | Our Links | Schedule | Contact us
ACharacteristics of Kingdom People: Be-Attitudes & Benefits@
1. APoor in spirit@ - humble, lowly-minded, recognition of spiritual poverty,
sense of unworthiness; Phil. 2:5-8 - Jesus took on
spiritual poverty for our sake (II Cor. 8:9);
2. AMourn@ - heartbrokenness over spiritual condition; Ps. 34:18; 51:17;
Isa. 57:15; 66:2;
3. AMeek@ - teachableness, willingness to learn - no >big shot= or >know-it-all=
4. AHunger & thirst@ - no self-righteousness; desires to be filled w/ God=s
righteousness (II Cor. 5:21)
S A L V A T I O N at this point!
5. AMerciful@ - full of compassion toward others; identification with others in
sufferings & sorrows ( Rom. 12:15); not mean-spirited and
spiteful of others;
6. APure in heart@ - wholly devoted to God; not merely external but inwardly
pure, clean, innocent ( _____________ - catharsis: relief);
7. APeacemakers@ - man & God and man & man (Rom. 12:18); not troublemakers:
Adove & buzzard@ illustration;
8. APersecuted@ - various >forms= of opposition?
a. Purpose - to flavor food; Xns to flavor life (joy, purpose, etc.); not >dull=
b. Essential - >must= for human body; Xn is must for body of X
c. Thirst - popcorn & peanuts; >others= for Jesus
d. Preservative - to avoid corruption & rottenness of >food= & >people=
e. Melting - >ice= when making ice cream; Xn to melt >hearts=
f. Contact - >penetration= for influence - not >isolation= but >involvement=
g. Looses itself - does not call attention to itself for itself sake
h. Can Loose Flavor? - if we do, people will walk all over us
a. To shine from a strategic place - Aa city set on a hill@ - a prestigious church
in a strategic place is wherever God leads us
b. To show the way - the very purpose of light is to shine - we are saved >from=
something & also >for= something: to show the way - as cars need
headlights at night, so the world in its darkness needs Xn light: plants
need light for growth, etc. Light adds beauty to life; AWhat does light
do for stalagmite formations in caves?@ reveals it beauty
c. To call attention to the Ultimate Light of the World - not ourselves but
X Himself - as the moon reflects the light of the sun; our >good works=
are to be seen to glorify God not to call attention to ourselves
Let us not be ashamed of or a shame to >who= and >what= we are in Jesus Christ!
Dr. Morris Murray, Jr.
Content copyright July 2010 jmhall. All rights reserved.