Calvary Church of the Nazarene Huntsville, Alabama
Home Page | About Us | News and Events | Pastors Page | Our Links | Schedule | Contact us
Unity/Oneness -Eph. 4:4-6
1. One body - Christ is the head and the church is the body. Just as the human brain could not work through a body which is split into fragments, unless there is a co-ordinated connection/oneness in the body of Christ, the Head (the Brains) of the Body is not able to do all that He wants to do and in the way He wants to do it (1 Cor. 12:12-27). I.e., the oneness of the body is founded on common love for Christ and every part being for the other parts.
2. One Spirit. The life-giving, vitalizing >breath= of the Church is the Holy Spirit. There can be no Church without the Spirit.
3. One hope of your calling.
Paul - Rom. 5:2, 4, 5; 8:24-25; 12:12; 15:4, 13;
1 Cor. 13:13; 15:19
2 Cor. 1:7; 3:12; 10:15
Gal. 5:5 Eph. 1:18; 4:4 Phil. 1:20; [2:23]
Col. 1:5, 23, 27
1 Th. 1:3; 2:19; 5:8 2 Thess. 2:16
1 Tim. 1:1 Titus 1:2; 2:13; 3:7
Heb. 3:6; 6:11, 18, 19; 7:19
Peter - 1 Pt. 1:3, 21; 3:15 John - 1 Jn. 3:3
4. One Lord. Cp. Phil. 2:11 - Master and King
5. One faith. The word basically means complete commitment to Jesus. All Xns are
bound together because they have made a common & complete surrender to the
love and Lordship of Jesus Christ.
6. One baptism. This is the way for public confession of faith (Acts 2:38).
7. One God and Father Who is above all, through all, and in all.
For Xnty, God is not just a King and a Judge, but a Father.
Above all - Emphasizes the power of God. No matter what things look like from our perspective, God is in control of it all (cp. Rm. 8:28). Cp. Ps. 29:10
Through all - Emphasizes the providence of God. God did not just create the world and set it into motion, like a man might wind up a clock and let it run down. God is all through His world, guiding, sustaining, and loving as He sees fit.
In all - Emphasizes the presence of God. Xns live in consciousness of a God-created,
God-controlled, God-sustained, God-filled world.
What a privilege in which to participate - now and forever!
Dr. Morris Murray, Jr.
Content copyright July 2010 jmhall. All rights reserved.